APKPure contains a good choice of popular Android apps. It is easy to install Android apps to your Sailfish OS device after installing the app of APKPure.
Status update from December 2021:
Version 3.17.31 of APKPure is the most recent version of the app now. We recommend always using the latest version.
Status update from February 2021:
APKPure website, which is another good source of Android apps, started serving 64bit APKs by default and they’ll fail to install to Sailfish, but there won’t be anything displayed to a user (because notifications from Android App Support are broken). You will need to choose armeabi-v7a (32bit) variant of the APK on the website.
- We recommend installing the APK Pure app and using that to install Android apps.
Status update from June 2020:
The latest versions of APK Pure cannot anymore be installed on Jolla Phone as the (Android) SDK version of it (i.e., the simulated Android version) is 16 which is too old.
1. Downloading APKPure apk to your Sailfish device
- Open Sailfish Browser app.
- Type and open page m.apkpure.com
- Tap the green-and-white "Download" on that page (see the picture below on the left)
- Tap another green-and-white "Download" - it has the version number and size now. The download of the APKPure apk file (installation file) begins.
- Wait till the Sailfish OS banner about complete download appears at the top of the screen.
2. Installing APKPure app to your Sailfish device
Let's install APKPure now.
- Tap the icon at the bottom right corner of the Sailfish Browser window (it has 4 short lines stacked). This opens a menu, so next, scroll the menu upwards till you see the item "Downloads" at the 2nd last position in that menu. Tap Downloads. This opens the Transfers page of Sailfish OS.
- Alternatively, instead of using the browser, open the Settings app and go directly to the menu page "Settings > Transfers".
- The downloaded installation file "APKPure_v.*_apkpure.com.apk" appears on the top of the page.
- Sailfish starts installing the APKPure application. Once it is installed (after 5-15 seconds), you will see an information banner on the top of the screen.
Sailfish OS will install the Android app "APKPure" to your device, then.
The APKPure app appears as the last item of the app grid in the picture below.
3. Installing Android apps from APKPure store to your Sailfish device
- Once the installation of the APKPure app is completed, open this app.
- Tap in the search box at the top of the app window. Type the beginning of your favourite Android app name, e.g. "Insta". APKPure will show 3 options below. Tap at line "Apps: Insta" (or whichever app name you had written and started searching for). Make sure you have selected the subpage "Apps" at the top of the display.
- Tap "Install" next to your app (e.g. Instagram) - see the picture below in the middle. Downloading will start.
- Tap "INSTALL" in the dialogue shown in the right-most picture below to let APKPure install the app.
Note that in the case of your 1st app from APK Pure, you will need to give some more permissions - see chapter 4 below.
Once the installation is ready, you will see this:
4. Allowing APKPure to install apps
If you are installing the 1st app from APK Pure to this phone, APK Pure will request permissions to do it. It will show you two dialogues.
The first one, related to phone calls, you can deny but the latter one, "Allow APKPure to access photos, media and files on your device", you should allow [*] or else the app cannot install anything on your phone.
[*] Alternatively, you can allow storage access for the app by doing the following:
- Open Settings > Apps > APKPure
- Tap "Open Android settings"
- Tap "Permissions"
- In the list of denied resources, tap "Storage" followed by "Allow"
- Close Settings
- Open APKPure app again. Installing Android apps should be possible now.
Even after allowing the storage access (as explained above), the APKPure app will request one more permission ( see the left-most picture below) before installing the 1st app to your phone: "Allow from this source". This means that you will need to grant permission for installing Android apps from the APKPure app store.
To give the permission, move the slider to the right so that it turns green - see the left-most picture below. Once done, the right-most picture will appear. Trigger the installation of your app by tapping "INSTALL".
When you install your subsequent Android apps from APKPure, it will go as explained in chapter 3. There is no need to do the actions of chapter 4 anymore.