Please note that your software (Sailfish OS) must be in the very latest version in order for all features described in this article to work. Read about updating your software here.
Whatsapp application (like most Android apps) get updates on regualr basis. We recommend installing these updates as after some time the app and Sailfish OS might become incompatible.
1 Downloading WhatsApp
1) Open Aptoide Store on your device. Aptoide Store icon looks like this:
You can download Aptoide Store from the Jolla Store if you don't already have it.
2) Download and install "WhatsApp Messenger" under the "Top" tab or use the Search function to locate it.
After downloading and installing, you are required to activate WhatsApp before starting to use it.
2 Activating WhatsApp service on your device
Next we will activate WhatsApp on your Sailfish OS device. WhatsApp uses an automated text message system for verification. We will have to help it a little by hand though, as Android™ Support of Sailfish OS may not be able to read the necessary info from the verification message sent by WhatsApp.
1) Please ensure that your device has a connection to the cellular network, and that Mobile Data is enabled & functioning (*).
2) Open WhatsApp. Agree to the Terms and Conditions and fill in your country and phone number, and press OK.
3) Next you will be sent an SMS, while seeing this view:
Note: In most cases, WhatsApp will automatically detect the SMS sent to you; so that you won’t need to enter the 6-digit code manually.If you don’t receive the SMS, please wait for 1 minute to ask WhatsApp to resend it. You can also request an automated call.
4) Send WhatsApp to the background by swiping from outside the screen, and open Messages.
5) In the message sent by WhatsApp you will see a 6-digit code. Enter this code to the designated area in the WhatsApp verification page.
That's it. You are now ready to use WhatsApp!
3 Making sure WhatsApp gives notifications even when not open
By default notifications will not come through unless you have WhatsApp minimized to the Home screen.
Should you wish to be alerted of WhatsApp messages whenever they might arrive, regardless the application is running, please do the following:
1) Go to Settings > Apps
2) Find WhatsApp from the list of applications:
3) Then, enable the option that this application's background processes are allowed to start as soon as the device starts up:
The switch in this view will make WhatsApp's background processes run all the time on your device, regardless of WhatsApp is running or not. Although this means that you will be receiving messages whenever they arrive, they will have an impact on your battery life.
You may need to restart WhatsApp for this change to be applied.
Please also note the other controls for the application in this view.
(*) Although mobile network connection (arranged with your SIM card) must be available in the registration phase, you can use Whatsapp service over a WLAN connection later on.
Q: I can't get notifications from WhatsApp even after following instructions in chapter 3!
A: Please check if there is a newer version of WhatsApp available in e.g. Aptoide Store. You may also need to re-install WhatsApp for notifications to work. You should have the latest Sailfish OS version, too.
Q: I can't get all my contacts to show in WhatsApp. Some show names, but some just show the phone number!
A: First please make sure that you have given Android applications permission to access your contacts in Settings > System > Android™ Support:
If activating this setting does not solve the issue, please read on.
Below is a list of everything you can try to jostle up WhatsApp to find all your contacts. You don't have to try all of them, but we recommend you start from the first suggestion that is least intrusive and easy, and continue down the list only if the issue isn't solved for you.
- Go to WhatsApp "Settings" > "Contacts" (i.e. touch the 3 dots at top right corner; then touch Contacts). Activate "Show all contacts" option.
- Return to the home view of the app.
- Tap on the green “New Chat” button at the lower right corner of WhatsApp main view. Select the three dots (top-right) and select "Refresh". This is great for updating your WhatsApp contacts with changes made to their e.g. phone numbers in the People app.
- Restart Android™ Support from the Android™ Support page in Settings (see screenshots above).
- Restart WhatsApp
- Restart your device.
- Try the troubleshooting steps provided by WhatsApp in the WhatsApp application. You can find them as follows:
1) Press the New Chat button:
2) In the next view, press the three dots top-right and select Help:
3) Please try out the steps suggested in the next view.
If your problems continue even after these steps, we can only suggest you check in the People app that contact information for these certain contacts are in order (e.g. no multiple numbers, incorrect numbers).
Q: I never receive an SMS code from WhatsApp!
A: Please wait for the timer (1 minute) to run down, after which you will be given the options to ask for the SMS to be resent, or request a call from WhatsApp with a code.
Q: WhatsApp seems to be stuck in the "Initializing" or "Connecting" phase during activating the service!
A: Please give this phase time. The cause of this issue is unknown, but you can try some of the tricks available online. Restarting your device might help as well.