In the June 2014 Sailfish OS software update Saapunki 126.96.36.199 we introduce many practical and useful new features and fixes. Among the most important new updates are
- 4G LTE connectivity (works with a 4G subscription naturally)
- Improved Store with even easier access to Aptoide and Yandex stores if you cannot find what you want in the Jolla store
- Two-way sync for your Google contacts
- Faster and more convenient multitasking in the browser: your tabs remember where you were left off making it easier to work with multiple pages open
- Folder creation support in the Apps launcher view, i.e. you can now group applications
- Personalize the pulley menu shortcuts in the Lock screen view, access quickly what’s most important to you
- Facebook notifications sub-page in the Events view to view, like, and comment on Facebook updates easily.
New browser tools
For the web browser we’ve introduced new privacy settings, which allow you to tell websites that you do not want to be tracked, and you can also clear your browsing history, cookies, saved passwords and cache individually. Files are also now more manageable in the browser: with the new file picker support you can easily e.g. upload files. The browser tabs are now changed to "real tabs", which means that switching between browser tabs remembers your last position and it no longer reloads the tab content.
Expanded calendar sync and Bluetooth support, and SIM toolkit
In addition to Exchange calendar support, Sailfish OS now has support for CalDAV accounts to easily synchronize your events. Also, pre-defined profiles are provided to easily setup accounts for popular CalDAV providers, such as Yahoo!, MemoToo, Fruux, and ownCould.
We also now have support for additional Bluetooth profiles PBAP and HID, widening the Bluetooth functionality in Sailfish OS. With the Phonebook Access Profile (PBAP) you can synchronize your contacts and call history e.g. with your car kit. With Human Interface Device Profile (HID) you can have your Bluetooth keyboard paired with your Jolla.
The new SIM Application Toolkit support lets you access SIM and network-specific add-on services from your own operator. These might include e.g. recharging of your prepaid credit, modifying the subscription and phone network settings – these of course all depend on your operator’s services.
Other updates to note
In this update we also introduce e.g. the option to accept or end calls using wired headset keys, new options to import contacts through People app settings and we’ve also made accessing Sailfish OS updates easier with a direct link in the settings view.
Sailfish OS also has now support for traditional and simplified Chinese handwriting recognition in the virtual keyboard if that’s your preference.
Read the full technical release notes here.
Update your Jolla now!
Here’s how to update your Jolla:
1. Be sure you have signed into your Jolla account from the phone or that you create a new Jolla account from your phone. When the update is available for your device, you'll see a notification in the events view.
2. Tapping the notification will take you to the Store where you can download the update. Follow the on-screen instructions.
3. Choose install from the pulley menu
Do not reboot the device while the OS update installation is in progress. The process takes up to 10 minutes. During the download, the device screen might blank out. You may awake the display with a short press on the power key to monitor the progress. When the download has completed there will be an instruction on the screen to install the update - use the pulley menu again. A view with Sailfish logo and progress bar appears. Once the install phase is completed the phone proceeds to restart by itself, do NOT touch the power key.
We hope you enjoy the new Sailfish OS features! And remember to give us feedback at together.jolla.com.
See together.jolla.com for the full technical release notes.