With the help of this article, you will learn how to access the command prompt of your Jolla device by using your PC. This will make entering commands into Terminal a lot easier, as you can use your computer's keyboard to type the commands as well as use copy+paste.
1. Make sure you have the Developer mode enabled on your Sailfish device. If not, see this article.
If you have not defined any SSH password yet (or you have forgotten it) in "Settings > Developer tools > Remote connection" then create one for yourself. You will need it soon.
2. Note that there different usernames on the phone depending on the Sailfish OS version. On 3.4.0 or later, there are two possible usernames, nemo and defaultuser. Only the correct one works. You can check it from the prompt of the Terminal app on the phone or with the command below (before getting root rights).
It replies either
defaultuser. If you should get
root then do
exit first and try again.
Create the SSH connection with the correct command (matching your username) below.
3. Check the WLAN IP address of your Jolla in Settings > Developer mode. Both your PC and your Sailfish OS device must be connected to the same WLAN network (SSID).
4. Launch Putty application on your Windows PC
- enter your WLAN IP address to the Host name (IP address) box
- check that SSH is selected below the box
- click on Open.
5. Terminal window of Putty appears
Type your username (either nemo or defaultuser).
Type your SSH password.
You are now in the directory
$HOME of the phone.
When you no longer need the SSH connection we recommend that you disable remote connections. Having the option open makes your device vulnerable for unwanted connection attempts.
Instructions for SSH connection with screenshots in together.jolla.com