It is always good to make a backup of the user data in the phone on regular basis and to save it outside of the phone memory, like on an SD card. Sometimes you may need to consider restoring a backup manually and/or only partially, and this article provides instructions on doing so.
Restoring only parts of a backup
The following procedure will instruct you how to locate pictures and contacts within a backup file, for purposes of restoring only these items to your phone.
NOTE: We assume here that your phone memory has been wiped clean (for eg. in service) and that there is a Backup on your SD card made prior to this.
1) Install File Browser application from Jolla Store to your phone.
2) Visit menu Settings > System > Backup. Pull down to do "Restore from memory card". This will only copy the backup data from the SD card to the phone memory. Do not restore any of the backups listed under the "Create" line.
3) Launch File Browser. Take Settings in the pull down menu and enable hidden files.
4) View the Home folder (
/home/nemo). Find folder "
.vault" - it contains the backup data from step 2).
Extracting contacts from Backup
- Tap on ".vault", then tap People and then on data. Observe file "all.vcf". It contains your local contacts you had in the People app at the time of making the backup.
- Tap and hold "all.vcf". Copy it.
- Go back to Home folder. Do command 'Paste(1)' in the pull down menu. Now your contacts file "all.vcf" is in the root folder "Phone Memory".
- Open Settings > Apps> People
- Tap on "From contact file". You will see the file "all.vcf" now. Tap on it to import the contacts in it to People application.
Extracting pictures from Backup
- Tap on ".vault", then tap Gallery and then on blobs. Observe folder Pictures. It contains the pictures you had in the Gallery app at the time of making the backup.
- Tap and hold Pictures. Copy it.
- Go back to Home folder. Tap on folder Pictures.
- Do command 'Paste(1)' in the pull down menu. Now your pictures are copied to folder
/home/nemo/Pictures/Pictures. They will appear in Gallery.