Sailfish OS supports microSD cards up to 32 GB of size without first formatting them. The card is mounted on the system automatically when the device is turned on the next time. After this, apps like Gallery can show the pictures and videos residing in the card.
On card formats
- Sailfish OS supports SDHC cards which implies the maximum size of 32 GB. The card shall be formatted to FAT32 format.
- Sailfish OS also supports the Linux format ext4. Note however that Windows and Mac computers are not able to show the contents of such cards directly
- If you have formatted the card to ext4 format then you will need to install the support for ext4 format to your Windows PC. There are commercial solutions like Paragon ExtFS for this purpose. Jolla cannot however guarantee that these 3rd party solutions work correctly.
- If an ext4 card is inserted in a Sailfish device which is connected to a PC with USB, then the card and its contents is available for the file manager on the PC.
- Officially Sailfish OS does not support SDXC memory cards, as this requires support for the exFAT filesystem which we cannot provide. However, these cards can be used in Sailfish devices if they are re-formatted to supported filesystems such as ext4 or FAT32.
NOTE: Never bring and insert a card that contains data and is bigger than 32 GB to your Sailfish device. There is a risk that all the data gets lost.
Instructions for formatting your memory card
We recommend that you reformat your memory cards using a computer.
NOTE: What is written below has not been thoroughly tested. It may work but Jolla cannot give any guarantees.
- Instructions for formatting an SDXC memory card to FAT32 format on Windows: http://m.wikihow.com/Format-FAT32. Limitation: Files greater than 4 GB cannot be used.
- Formatting tool for advanced users: https://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html
- Instructions for formatting a memory card (memory stick) in Linux (Ubuntu): http://askubuntu.com/questions/22381/how-to-format-a-usb-flash-drive
- Information about ext4: https://together.jolla.com/question/37865/does-ext4-formatted-microsd-card-work-out-of-the-box-already/
- Instructions for formatting a memory card on a Mac: http://techchannel.radioshack.com/format-sd-card-mac-1661.html.
Moving data to/from the SD card
If you have a Windows or Linux PC, read this article.
If you have a Mac, read this article.