Email application requires seamless co-operation with the client (phone) and the email server. There are a number of different protocols to choose from - the protocols shall match. Despite our attempts to automate the process, it may happen that the Email app does not always work correctly. In that case, it is useful to do some debugging, i.e. to collect logs showing the detailed data traffic between the phone and the server.
This article instructs how to enable message logging.
Give the command to check what is your home directory. We want to collect the log in there.
Pay attention to if it prints out a)
/home/nemo or b)
1. Look for the configuration file and edit it as explained below.
2. Enable logging to a file and add a path for the log file - choose the correct home directory
Path=/home/nemo/messageserver.log ## case a)
Path=/home/defaultuser/messageserver.log ## case b)
This article explains how to use an editor on the Sailfish Terminal app.
3. Reboot the device.
4. Reproduce the email problem. Try to send/receive an email message using your email account, or run the Sync command in the pulley menu of your email account (in "Settings > Accounts > [account]" ), depending on how the issues have usually occurred.
5. It is useful to collect the journal log, too. Please follow the instructions in this article.
6. Connect your Sailfish device to your computer with a data-enabled USB cable in the MTP mode. In the File Manager of the computer, find files messageserver.log and journal.txt in the Mass storage under your Sailfish device (appears there by the names like "Jolla..." or "Xperia..."). Send the files to us, please.
PLEASE make notes when (date and time) the issues happened so that it would be easier for us to investigate your logs later.
End of task
7. After taking the logs, turn message logging off again by setting "Enabled" to 0. Remember to reboot your phone.