- IMPORTANT! Before starting: (Especially for Jolla Phone (aka Jolla1) users)
- We highly advise moving files away from device prior to taking an update. Please see here.
- We also advise changing the way photos and videos are stored to that they go direct direct to SD card: Settings > Apps > Camera > Storage > Memory card.
- Also, deleting unnecessary backups from the Device; use Clear backup storage in Settings > Utilities - first you need to download/install Sailfish Utilities from the Jolla Store - to remove the data generated in the backup process.
- And, downloading/installing File Browser app from Jolla Store and deletiing email attachments from Downloads > Mail_attachments.
- Then, accessing Transfer under Settings > Info and deleting APK files and any other unnecessary files.
- Check that you have a working Internet connection. Use for instance the Jolla browser to check this. Note that the size of the update may be up to hundreds of megabytes. Please prefer WLAN to download it (switch off mobile data). If you use mobile data, make sure that this will not incur cost to you. Switch off WLAN if you use mobile data.
- Check that you have a working Jolla account in your phone. Launch the Store application and try to install any application from the Store. Should there be any trouble please read this article.
- Make sure you have that you have enough free storage space (disk space) in the phone: the user data "Used" shown on menu page Settings > Storage should not preferably exceed 10 GB. If it does then delete some video clips or pictures from Phone Memory - see this article.
- It is good to close all other apps before starting the OS download. Even better would be to restart the device. This ensures the maximum amount of free working memory (RAM) for the demanding process
- We recommend keeping the phone connected to a charger throughout the whole update process.
- If you have installed applications from OpenRepos service, then see chapter OpenRepos in the end of this article. If you have never heard the name then ignore this step.
Updating the operating system
Finding an update
Notifications on available system updates appear in the Events view which you can make visible by swiping sideways from beyond the left edge of the device (on old OS versions swipe upwards from the bottom of the display). Touch such a notification in the Events view. Jolla Store application will launch automatically. Follow the on-screen instructions.
Below is a video showing this method:
Alternative: Visit menu "Settings > Sailfish OS updates" and pull down to seek for an update (if you have an old OS version currently, then use menu "Settings > System > About product")
Preparations for the update
A good amount of free memory and a non-fragmented file system are required for a successful OS update. From OS version 1.1.6 onwards the phone will run some optimization before it can start the actual update process. Note that the optimization itself requires some working space - if there is none then it will fail.
Downloading the update from Jolla Store to your phone
- Select "Download" in the pull down menu.
- Wait until the download gets completed - the scenery at the top of the display will turn lighter starting from the left, indicating download progress. There will be further instructions on the screen for the install phase.
- Should the download get interrupted due to a connection problem you can start over. The phone knows how to continue from the point it had stopped at (the progress indicator always starts from the left, though).
- The pictures below show how the download goes:
Installing the update
- Never try to interrupt the install as this would very likely break your phone. Do not turn the phone off (unless several hours have passed without getting the job completed)
- Make sure your phone is connected to a charger. Your phone must not turn off during this phase.
- Start the process by selecting "Install" in the pull down menu.
- The Sailfish logo will appear on black background during the installation. There is a progress indicator line below it. Installing the update will not delete contacts or other user data in the phone.
- Wait patiently until the update is installed - DO NOT TURN OFF the phone. Do not touch the power key in this phase. The red LED will be lit in the end. Let the phone then restart itself - you will eventually see your familiar Lock Screen. At this point the install is over and the phone is ready for use.
- It takes usually about 10-20 minutes to install an update.
If you do not find notifications about system updates
1. Visit menu "Settings > Sailfish OS update"
2. Select "Check for update" in the pull down menu
- After some moments (given the Internet connection is ok) there should be a notification about a Sailfish OS update appearing at the top of the screen.
- Return to Finding an update (above).
NOTE - UPDATING EARLY OS VERSIONS
There are several Stop Releases in the Sailfish OS update path. They are mandatory intermediate steps through which the update process must traverse if the original OS version of the device is from the past. The Stop Releases (so far) are: 188.8.131.52, 184.108.40.206, 220.127.116.11, 18.104.22.168 and 22.214.171.124. Hence if you start from release 126.96.36.199, your device will have to download and install all of the stop releases before it can get the latest OS version. If you start from 1.1.6, then there are three stop releases to install.
1. Seek for updates in menu "Settings > System > About product" (or "Settings > Sailfish OS update") as explained above. The first applicable stop release will be offered. Note here that it is recommended to use WLAN connection for the download and turn mobile data off. Check that your Jolla account really works by first installing an application from the Store, and if it succeeded, then download the OS update. If the download of OS update gets stalled and/or you see the notification "Problem with Store" then check your Internet connection again. Then retry the download. Should the update keep failing then it is best to reset the phone to factory settings first and then try again. Read these instructions for factory reset, please.
2. As soon as the first stop release is installed to the phone, seek for the next one. Carry on in the same way. Once the last stop release (188.8.131.52) has been installed, the latest Sailfish OS version will be downloaded. Download and install it.
If the phone keeps failing to indicate the availability of Sailfish OS updates, it may be possible to make them appear with the following commands (this requires the Developer Mode, SSH password and Terminal app - see "Settings > System > Developer mode"). Should you need help with the commands above, please contact Jolla customer care.
devel-su ## Use your SSH password here
ssu release 184.108.40.206 ## Your target OS version - change if needed
After running these commands please restart your device by using the power key, and cbeck in Settings > System > About product that your device has updated. You can disable Developer Mode now if you wish.
If you have not heard about OpenRepos or Warehouse, you can ignore this chapter.
If your Jolla phone has now a SailfishOS version which is one of 0.99.5.11, 220.127.116.11, 18.104.22.168, 22.214.171.124 or 126.96.36.199 and it has the WareHouse app installed (i.e you are using OpenRepos), disable all openrepo repositories before attempting to upgrade your device. Else, you risk breaking the device. Read important-steps-to-do-before-updating and how-to-disable-openrepos-repositories posts for more information. Should you need help from Jolla Customer Care, please do it here.