You can transfer files between your Jolla and your computer, and it can be done using either USB or Bluetooth.
- At the moment connecting your Jolla to a PC using a USB cable is best supported on Windows systems.
- Depending on your Linux distribution it might be possible to form a connection between your PC and Jolla without additional preparations, but likely you will have to try to enable MTP-support manually. Instructions on how to do this can be found e.g. here.
- Support for Mac OS X is under construction, but there is a support article for file transfer between Jolla and Mac that works around these limitations.
- Please scroll further down for an cloudservice-based method for file transfer for unsupported operating systems.
Transferring files from a Windows PC using USB:
- Connect the USB cable into your Jolla and then to the PC.
- Your Jolla will ask you what to use the USB for; charging only or Media transfer mode
- Choose the option 'Media transfer (MTP)'
- Your PC should now tell you that it found your Jolla ; saying 'New device detected' or 'Found new USB device', and proceed to install drivers for your device (done in case of the first connection only). Give it a moment.
- After drivers are installed, your PC will most likely give you some choices on what to do; download photos, open with a file manager etc.
- After a successful driver installation Jolla should appear as Sailfish device under Computer on the left
- Click on Sailfish. You should now see the main folder Phone Memory (in case of Jolla phone), Mass storage (in case of Jolla Tablet) and SD Card if you have connected a memory card to your device.
- NOTE: If your SD memory card is in VFAT format it will appear as explained above. However, if you have formatted the card to Ext4 format (used in the context of Linux devices) then you will need to install the support for Ext4 format to your Windows PC. There are commercial solutions like Paragon ExtFS for this purpose. Jolla cannot however guarantee that these 3rd party solutions work correctly.
- You are now able to browse your Jolla on your PC. Move files using the copy/paste method between the phone memory, the SD card and the PC.
NOTE: You cannot probably save files directly from Windows apps (e.g. MS Word) to Jolla. Instead, you must first save them to a PC folder.
- When the transfer of data is complete you can detach the USB cable. Make sure that no video transfer (especially) is still ongoing.
- Note that a transfer to/from an SD card is likely to go faster by connecting the card directly to the PC (using an adapter). The USB cable may slow down the transfer.
Changing the default action for attaching USB cable
In Settings you can edit your preferences on what what your Jolla should do when you connect to a PC:
- Go to Settings > System > USB (under Connectivity)
- Tap on Default USB mode and an menu opens
- Tap on the action you wish to perform automatically when connecting a USB cable.
Transferring files over Bluetooth connection (not operating system specific)
- Switch Bluetooth on in your Jolla in Settings > System > Bluetooth.
- Switch Bluetooth on on your computer.
- Pair your devices.
- Transfer files between your devices by initiating the sending of the file on your computer, and accepting the transfer and receiving them on your Jolla.
Need more instructions on how to pair devices over Bluetooth? Please see here.
Transferring files to Jolla by utilizing a cloud based service such as Dropbox
Your computer operating system probably supports the integration of cloud based services such as Dropbox into your File explorer –application (Finder on Mac for example). Dropbox will be the example service here, but there are several other services available and we encourage that you try to use one that you are most familiar with.
- An account in a cloud based file-storing service, and a possible client app downloaded and configured on your computer.
On your computer:
1. Upload the files you want to transfer to your web-storage service. You can do it using the app on your computer or possibly through a web-interface (www.dropbox.com for Dropbox users).
On your Jolla:
1. Open the Jolla browser, and browse to www.dropbox.com
2. Scroll down the page until in the bottom left corner you see the option to switch to Desktop view.
3. Find your media file(s) inside your Dropbox and download
4. You will now find your downloaded media in the appropriate apps (Media for music and videos, Gallery for pictures)
Note: at the time of writing this article, there are some promising up-and-coming Dropbox clients in the Jolla Store, and we expect our resourceful community members will come up with apps for more services. Be sure to check them out as well as an alternative to this method.
Utilizing Android apps for cloud-based services
In some cases, you might want to try using an Android app for getting the files from your cloud-storage onto your phone.
Please note: in SailfishOS 188.8.131.52 and older there are possible shortcomings in Android apps’ abilities in placing the files onto an easily discoverable place on your device. That’s why this method is considered a difficult method of transferring contacts.
1. Open the Aptoide Store.
2. Search for your favourite cloud-storaging service, and install the application.
Note 1: if you can’t find one that you like, try downloading Yandex Appstore from the Jolla Store, and repeat the step above.
3. Open your cloud-storage app.
4. Browse the contents of your cloud-storage, and download the files onto your phone.
5. You will now find your downloaded media in the appropriate apps (Media for music and videos, Gallery for pictures)