If you are facing problems with your Jolla-account, downloading and installing applications from the Jolla-store, and/or getting the latest Sailfish OS update/s, please follow these instructions carefully:
Check date and time
Check that the time and date are correct on your phone. If they are wrong, fix them in Settings > System > Time and date.
Try to avoid screen timing out when trying to download update
Some users have reported, that allowing the screen to time out when attempting the download may interfere with the process.
To see if this works for you, please try:
1. Go to Settings > System > Display
2. Change the "Sleep after" setting to a maximum (10 minutes). This will make your phone wait 10 minutes before switching the screen off.
3. When waiting for the download to come down, tap the screen every now and then to reset the timer for dimming the display.
Validate your Jolla-account on a PC/laptop computer
- Log in with your Jolla-account credentials – if you are able to log in everything is OK
- If you cannot login: Select ‘Reset Password’ and enter the same email address you used when you originally registered your Jolla account
- You will receive an e-mail with your username information and a link to set a new password. The subject is "Password reset on account.jolla.com". If you do not get this e-mail in a few minutes, please check your Spam folder.
- Note: your username can NOT be your email address nor contain any accented characters.
- After successfully changing the password use 'Log in' below the confirmation to verify that the new credentials really work.
- Please memorize your username/password.
Access your Jolla Account on your Jolla phone
- Make sure your phone is connected to the Internet
- Verify your credentials at Settings > Accounts > Jolla. Pull down "Update sign-in credentials".
- Enter your Jolla-account username and password (from the PC validation above)
- Check that your Jolla's date and time settings are correct in Settings > System > "Time and Date"
- You are now logged in to the Jolla Store and should be able to
(a) Install applications
(b) Install The Other Half back cover
(c) Get SailfishOS updates.
(a) Download and install applications
- Tap on Categories (at the bottom of the display), then on Jolla (in the end of the list).
- Tap on each app you want to get and then tap 'Install'.
(b) Install The Other Half back cover
- While the phone is turned on attach The Other Half to the phone
- Tap on 'Install' near the top of the display.
(c) Download and installing Sailfish OS updates
If your current SailfishOS is one of 0.99.5.11, 188.8.131.52 or 184.108.40.206, please check chapter EXCEPTION: UPDATING FROM EARLY OS VERSIONS in the end of this page.
1) Installing updates from notifications
When there is an OS update available, you will receive a notification on your phone. All notifications are visible in the Events view. You can access it by swiping upwards from the lower edge of the screen.
- Tap on the OS notification to open it
- Access the pull-down menu to select 'Download' and follow the instructions on the screen
2) Checking for Sailfish OS updates manually
Alternatively, you can manually check for available Sailfish OS updates by following the steps below:
- Open Settings -> System > Sailfish OS updates
- Access the pull-down menu to select 'Check for update'
- If there is an update you can see a mention of it in the middle of the screen near 'SailfishOS'. Take it by pulling down 'Update phone'.
- Follow the on-screen instructions.
If you still can’t get applications or get the latest OS update, we recommend that you do a factory reset.
It is advised that you make a backup of your contacts and other important files prior to resetting and save the backup to an SD card on your phone - this is supported from SailfishOS release 1.0.4.x onwards.
How to do a factory reset:
- Go to ‘Settings’ > ’System’ > ’Reset device’ (at the bottom of the long list)
- Select: ’Clear device’, then enter the lock code (if requested). Finally tap on ’Accept’.
- The user memory of the phone will now be reset and all SailfishOS updates as well as all your user data (installed applications etc.) will be lost and the phone will return to the state it was when it left the factory.
Preparing the phone for use after factory reset
1. Restart your Jolla and follow the instructions of the start-up wizard (tutorial). We recommend that you skip the adding of a Jolla account for now, we’ll do that at step 3. Also do not install any apps, nor sign-in to any accounts.
2. Make sure that your phone has a working Internet connection (WLAN or mobile data). You can check this by going to the web browser and entering any webpage address – if the page opens, your connection is working.
3. Open the Jolla Store application and choose ‘Add account’ from the pulldown menu, choose ‘Jolla’, then sign in with your Jolla-account credentials.
This step is similar to that of "Access your Jolla Account on your Jolla phone" above.
At this point you have your Jolla account and Store available. Let's update SailfishOS to the latest version.
4. Go to Settings > System > About Product.
5. Select ‘Check for update’ in the pulldown menu. Do as instructed at item "2) Checking for Sailfish OS updates manually" above.
6. Choose ‘Download’ and wait for the update to load. The progress bar is indicated on the scenery picture. Notice that the picture lightens from left to right indicating the progress in the download. Wait until the update has loaded and then select ‘install’ from the pulley menu. During the installation process there will be a Sailfish-logo on the screen and below that a line to indicate the installation process. Keep the phone connected to a charger. Do not touch the POWER key in this phase. The phone will restart after the installation is complete.
Note: Updates from early SailfishOS version happen through an intermediate step at version 220.127.116.11 and 18.104.22.168. After installing 22.214.171.124 you should seek for the latest version and install that.
EXCEPTION: UPDATING FROM EARLY OS VERSIONS
If your current SailfishOS is one of 0.99.5.11, 126.96.36.199 or 188.8.131.52, then the update to the latest version goes via the intermediate steps of versions 184.108.40.206 and 220.127.116.11.
1. Seek for updates as explained above. The phone will offer an update to 18.104.22.168. Note here that it is recommended to use WLAN connection for the download and turn mobile data off. Check that your Jolla account really works by first installing an application from the Store, and if it succeeded, then download the OS update. If the download of OS update gets stalled and/or you see the notification "Problem with Store" then check your Internet connection again. Then retry the download.
2. As soon as 22.214.171.124 is installed to the phone, seek for another update. This time the phone will offer SailfishOS version 126.96.36.199. Download and install it. After the phone has rebooted, check that the update worked by checking the OS version in menu Settings > System > About Product. It has turned out that sometimes the update has failed and the phone has still version 188.8.131.52. In this case redo this step (update from 184.108.40.206 to the latest). The 2nd attempt should work. Finally, update your device from 220.127.116.11 to the latest version.