Devices compatible with and licensed for Sailfish X
Sailfish X has been ported to certain Sony Xperia and Gemini PDA models by Jolla. Some community people have ported it to some other devices, too, but that work is unofficial, i.e. Jolla has not been involved and Sailfish X licence is not valid on those devices.
Sailfish X licence from Jolla allows installing Sailfish OS (Sailfish X) on the Sony Xperia and Gemini PDA devices listed below. The licence makes it also possible to update Sailfish OS over-the-air, triggered from the phone UI.
There are four licence groups. A licence from one group cannot be used on a device from another group.
- Licence group Xperia 10
- Sony Xperia 10 Single SIM (I3113 & I3123)
- Sony Xperia 10 Dual SIM (I4113 & I4193)
- Sony Xperia 10 Plus Single SIM (I3213 & I3223)
- Sony Xperia 10 Plus Dual SIM (I4213 & I4293)
- Licence group Xperia XA2
- Sony Xperia XA2 Single SIM (H3113 & H3123 & H3133)
- Sony Xperia XA2 Dual SIM (H4113 & H4133)
- Sony Xperia XA2 Plus Single-SIM (H3413)
- Sony Xperia XA2 Plus Dual-SIM (H4413 & H4493)
- Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra Single-SIM (H3213 & H3223)
- Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra Dual-SIM (H4213 & H4233)
- Licence group Xperia X
- Sony Xperia X Single SIM (F5121)
- Sony Xperia X Dual SIM (F5122)
- Licence group Gemini
- Gemini PDA x25
- Gemini PDA x27
This is the status from November 2019 onwards.
How does the licence work
The licence is tied to the Jolla account which purchased the licence. When signing in to this Jolla account from an Xperia device the licence becomes also tied to the IMEI code of the device. Hence the licence is valid on one device and one Jolla account.
The licence cannot be transferred from one licence group to another. For instance, an Xperia X licence is not valid for Xperia XA2 devices.
Sailfish X licence makes the so-called licensed content available in Jolla Store, allowing to download and install those apps. For an official statement, see chapter "What you get" at https://shop.jolla.com/.
After you have activated the licence by signing in from your Xperia to this same Jolla account, the licensed content becomes available in category 'Jolla' of Jolla Store, and Sailfish OS updates appear on the UI. Restarting the device may be required in some cases to activate the licence.
What is included in the licensed content?
- Sailfish OS updates
- Android support
Allows installing Aptoide and other Android app stores which in turn makes it possible to install actual Android apps.
- MS Exchange support
Allows signing into one's Exchange account from Settings > Accounts, after which Exchange will appear in Email and Calendar apps.
- Predictive text input
Appears as predicted words on top of the virtual keyboard while typing.
It is good to restart the device after installing any of the apps above.
Note that none of these apps will appear as icons in the app grid (after installing them) as they are rather background services. Use "My apps" in the pull-down menu of the Jolla Store app to view what is installed on your device.
What are the Free and Full licences?
Sailfish X Free licence is a trial version for the Xperia product variants. You can download and install it free of charge to try out Sailfish OS on your Sony device.
Sailfish X Full licence entitles you to use all Sailfish X services, including Android 8.1 App Support for the Xperia™ 10 and Xperia™ XA2 devices, and Android 4.4 app support for the Xperia X devices.
If you had bought the **Beta** licence for XA2 in July 2019 or earlier (not available since August 2019), you will get the full commercial OS version 3.1.0 (and later releases) for free as we have promised. This automatically turns your Beta licence to a Full licence.
The table in Jolla Shop shows what the licences cover.
Switching from Free to Full licence
It is simple to upgrade a phone from Free OS to Full OS. You will need to:
- Buy the Sailfish X licence using the same Jolla account that will be used on the phone.
- Sign in to this Jolla account on the phone. If done previously then just restart the phone. This activates the licence.
- On the phone, go to the menu page "Settings > Sailfish OS updates". Pull down to "Check for updates".
- If there is an update available, pull down to download it. Once done, pull down to install it. At the end of the installation, the phone restarts itself.
You have now the full-blown Sailfish OS on your phone. Thanks to the licence, you can now install the licensed apps from Jolla Store.